    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    There has always been a feeling that it was nice to do things
    on convenient boundaries, including memory page boundaries and
    device physical block boundaries, but SCSI has long since
    elected to perform any operation on almost any boundary.  SCSI drives
    and related operating systems have commonly used block sizes of 512
    bytes and 520 bytes and less commonly of other values.

    The only requirement we were able to enforce in previous
    SCSI protocols is that all but the last PDU of a transfer
    were required to be on 4 byte boundaries.  We were also
    able to enforce the maximum values and a requirement that
    the transferred data count exactly match the requested byte
    count.

    I would strongly suggest that you not bother to enforce any
    other boundary restrictions.

    I believe Eddy was right when he asked:

    	Given that the TCP issues of reassembly
    	are so much more complicated than
    	the concatenation issues necessary for
    	target data alignment, is there
    	really a problem here?

    My answer to him would be, no, there is not a problem.

    Bob Snively                        e-mail:    rsnively@brocade.com
    Brocade Communications Systems     phone:  408 487 8135
    1745 Technology Drive
    San Jose, CA 95110

Last updated: Fri Mar 01 13:18:08 2002
8969 messages in chronological order