    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    • To: "Martins Krikis" <mkrikis@yahoo.com>
    • Subject: RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?
    • From: "Martin, Nick" <Nick.Martin@compaq.com>
    • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:33:38 -0600
    • Cc: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Martins,

    Comments imbedded.

    +++
    Yes, I see your point.
    +++

    > Also, (I'm quoting Nick):
    > > When DataPDUAlignment is non-zero,
    > > for any PDU other than the last in a
    > > sequence, the PDU data segment length
    > > (DataSegmentLength) is required to
    > >  be an integer multiple of DataPDUAlignment
    > > less than or equal to MaxRecvPDULength.
    >
    > In case of Data_out pdu-s even the last one should
    > be aligned, shouldn't it? Since all PDU-s have
    > brought data aligned on block-size, if the last
    > one does the same, we guarantee that the total
    > data transfer length is a multiple of block-size,
    > which certainly must be so, right? So far I don't
    > see a guarantee that it will be, but I feel it
    > must match the length carried by CDB which is
    > expressed as the number of blocks...
    +++
    For disks, yes this will be true.  For devices accepting variable length
    records such as tape, there is no restriction on the total size.  My
    intention is that only the last buffer required by the transfer would
    not be an integer multiple.

    I now picture a slightly more general case where the DataPDUAlignment
    value requested represents the buffer memory management granularity of
    the target.  This might be a convenient multiple of sector size other
    than one.  Again in this case, only the final transfer would not fill
    each DataPDUAlignment sized buffer allocated to receive it.

    Finally, it has been suggested (by Eddy Quicksall) that allowing any
    value including 1, but not zero eliminates special case processing for
    0.  The value 1 means one byte alignment which is no restriction.  Any
    value convenient to the target could be selected, or the target can
    leave it unspecified which means it does not require alignment.
    +++