    RE: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    I like the DataPDUAlignment parameter.
    (Just mandating to send maximum amount of data
    that's allowed, while being a good thing,
    still cannot guarantee the right alignment
    if those limits are not the right multiples.)

    But I don't see why the selection function should be
    the minimum of two numbers. That way the outcome may
    be completely inapropriate for the target.
    I think that whatever the target declares should be
    the final value. So the selection function should
    be called, IMHO, "target said so".

    Also, (I'm quoting Nick):
    > When DataPDUAlignment is non-zero,
    > for any PDU other than the last in a
    > sequence, the PDU data segment length
    > (DataSegmentLength) is required to
    >  be an integer multiple of DataPDUAlignment
    > less than or equal to MaxRecvPDULength.

    In case of Data_out pdu-s even the last one should
    be aligned, shouldn't it? Since all PDU-s have
    brought data aligned on block-size, if the last
    one does the same, we guarantee that the total
    data transfer length is a multiple of block-size,
    which certainly must be so, right? So far I don't
    see a guarantee that it will be, but I feel it
    must match the length carried by CDB which is
    expressed as the number of blocks...

    Finally, speaking about MaxRecvPDULength, this
    really is the last of operational parameters that
    is not negotiated, but instead declared, right? That
    makes it different from others. Plus, the same key
    means different things depending on which direction
    it is sent. While I'm not as upset with this as I
    was about RFMarkInt, wouldn't it look cleaner if
    we used two different keys, MaxORecvPDULength and
    MaxIRecvPDULength? We could even say that they
    are negotiated with the very special selection
    functions "initiator said so" and "target said so",
    respectively...

    Any comments?

      Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not
                reflect those of my employer.