    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On
    Behalf Of
    Paul Koning
    Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:51 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: sector alignment for DataOut PDUs?

    In the past, a number of login parameters were specified as
    multiples
    of 512 bytes, which makes a lot of sense for disk targets (but
    not so
    much for tape targets).  With the spec as it stands now, you can
    negotiate pretty much arbitrary burst sizes etc.  And in any
    case, the
    sender can pick "strange" PDU sizes even if the negotiated sizes
    are
    multiples of 512, because after all those are limits, not
    required
    sizes.

    It would be very attractive for disk targets to be able to
    specify
    that they require DataOut PDUs to be multiples of 512 bytes in
    length.
    That way, any PDU would correspond exactly to one or more
    sectors,
    rather than potentially having several PDUs straddling sector
    boundaries as is currently permitted.  This could be done by a
    Boolean
    key (512 byte alignment, yes or no).  (An integer key would allow
    other values than 512, but I'm not sure that such flexibility is
    whole lot more useful.)

    Basically, the effect of this feature would be to tell the
    initiator
    that it must send DataOut PDUs and immediate data whose length is
    always a multiple of 512.  Obviously, targets can't ask for that
    unless the devices on that target already come with such a
    limitation.

           paul

Last updated: Tue Feb 26 18:18:04 2002
8896 messages in chronological order