    [Fwd: Re: iSCSI: X-bit in Login]

    Copying to the list....

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: X-bit in Login
       Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:31:33 +0200
       From: "Julian Satran" <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>
         To: "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>

    Mallikarjun,

    I agree with this.

    Julo

      "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
                                                 To:        "ips"
      Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu     <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                                                 cc:
      14-02-02 01:58                             Subject:        iSCSI:
                                         X-bit in Login

    All,

    It seems to me that we do not need the X-bit even in the Login PDU.

    "Connection reinstatement"/"implicit connection logout" can be
    implicitly
    signaled by using an active ISID-TSID-CID combination to request the
    target to implicitly logout the connection state machine for the CID.
    This is
    conceptually nothing but the "option A" choice we made for implicit
    session logout sometime ago (remember the "reusing ISID for recovery"
    thread?), albeit at the connection level.  As far as I can tell, the
    current
    X-bit in Login PDU is similar to the C-bit that we considered and
    rejected
    for "implicit" session logout.  I suggest we apply the same design
    principle
    here.

    I propose that the draft should continue to formally define the notion
    of
    "connection reinstatement" with the existing rules on its usage, but
    retire
    the X-bit to make that bit position reserved.  Leaving the X-bit in
    would only
    lead to needless error cases.

    Comments?
    --