    From: Martin, Nick [mailto:Nick.Martin@COMPAQ.com]
    Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 4:30 PM
    To: Julian Satran; Eddy Quicksall
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; Lakshmi Ramasubramanian
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: Boolean value (yes, no) negotiation

    Julian, Eddy, and Lakshmi,

    OK, since I had it wrong last time.  Let me try to explain it again.

    The default for ImmediateData is yes.  The result function is AND.

    I->T ImmediateData=no

    Presuming the target wanted "yes", the result ("yes" AND "no") is "no".

    The target has one option

    T->I ImmediateData=no

    If this response is omitted, the result is the same.  Login proceeds
    presuming ImmediateData=no.

    I have been corrected that ImmediateData=Reject is not valid.
    A response of ImmediateData=yes is also not valid.
    I do not see a login response code meaning option not supported by
    target.

    From this in infer that support for both ImmediateData=yes and
    ImmediateData=no is required.  One is not supposed to build a target nor
    an initiator which does not support both possible values for each
    boolean.  For either possible result of the negotiation, both parties
    should be able to proceed.

    Is this correct?  If so, I think it is worth stating that support for
    both outcomes is required.

    Thanks,
    Nick

Last updated: Mon Feb 11 12:18:25 2002