    From: Martin, Nick [mailto:Nick.Martin@compaq.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 5:06 PM
    To: Santosh Rao; IPS Reflector
    Subject: RE: ips : Is FirstBurstSize valid when InitialR2T=yes ?

    Santosh,

    One clarification is that MaxRecvPDULength (formerly DataPDULength),
    FirstBurstSize, and MaxBurstSize limit the size of the data segment or
    payload portion of the PDU.  The header and digests are not counted
    within these lengths.  (Also note that these are now in bytes now all
    512 byte chunks.)  Their ranges are 512 to (2**24)-1.  The upper bound
    corresponding to the max value which can be expressed in the 24-bit
    field DataSegmentLength.  If the value is 1024, it means 1024 bytes of
    data, not 1024 minus 48-byte header, minus up to two 4-byte digests.

    Compute your own overhead before negotiating the value.  One may want to
    make sure all iSCSI PDUs fit within MTU.  If the MTU, the overhead of
    the protocols below iSCSI, and the overhead of iSCSI are known, the
    number of iSCSI data bytes that will fit in a MTU size packet can be
    computed and negotiated.  It does not need to be a power of 2 nor a
    multiple of 512.  A multiple of 4 is expected.

    As has been pointed out some values may become unused or meaningless due
    to the setting of other values.  The responder may reply with
    key=irrelevant.  However I see no harm in accepting a numeric value,
    although it may not be used.  The intention of the initiator may be to
    replace the default value in case part or all of the negotiation for
    no-unsolicited data is rejected.

    It is not invalid to have FirstBurstSize less than MaxRecvPDULength and
    ImmediateData=yes and InitialR2T=no.  In this case InitialR2T=no cause
    no different behavior from InitialR2T=yes, since the FirstBurstSize will
    always be satisfied with immediate data.  I do not think it would be
    appropriate to reply InitialR2T=Irrelevant.

    I think key=Irrelevant should be used when the responder is required to
    reply, but can not construct a reply that makes sense.  This could be
    due to something else making the key meaningless.  Examples might be a
    prior FMarker=no making RFMarkInt=Irrelevant, or a prior AuthMethod=SRP
    causing CHAP_A=Irrelevant.  Key=Reject may fit such cases as well or
    better, if the other end should already know the prior result.

    Thanks,
    Nick

Last updated: Thu Feb 07 18:18:00 2002
8703 messages in chronological order