    Piggyback status gripe

    Over the last several weeks, I have found myself testing against some
    version 8 initiators that do not understand that a good status can be
    carried piggyback fashion in the DATA-IN PDU, as indicated by the 'S' bit.

    This makes life very difficult for a target, and takes a while to analyse
    the situation to find out what is wrong.

    Can I draw initiator writers (especially those in the Windows arena)
    attention to the text in 3.7 of both draft 8 and draft 9 and the equivalent
    text in 10.7 of draft 10.

    Initiators MUST cope with both cases of either a DATA-IN with the 'S' bit
    set, or a separate SCSI Response PDU, it's not up to the target to
    telepathically cope with which behaviour the initiator expects.  For
    performance sake, most targets will piggyback the status in the DATA-IN PDU
    and this hangs a couple of initiators.

    Could the participants of next weeks Plugfest actively check for this
    compliance ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

Last updated: Wed Feb 06 12:17:58 2002