    Re: iSCSI: No Framing

    > To prevent fracturing of the market and creating standards competition
    > within IETF, FIM should be removed from the iSCSI draft.

    Just to make my original comment (about the potential for fracturing) clear -

    I *do not* believe defining FIM in iSCSI draft itself fractures the market.
    IMO, a market fracture can happen only if two conditions are met -
        a) if FIM is not mandated to implement (i.e. required as a SHOULD), AND
        b) if % of NICs is evenly split between those that can and those that can not
            (that a SHOULD enables) do framing.

    Perhaps we should consider mandating FIM just for iSCSI *hardware*
    implementations (similar to what we did for Node Name configurability, and
    ISID partition) if all NIC vendors are going to do it anyway - while leaving
    the software aside.  That essentially ensures that (b) above is not ever satisfied.
    I am not unduly concerned about software_senders->NIC_receivers delivering
    lower performance (than NIC->NIC combination) - since that's true anyway.

    As Julian implied earlier, the evolution of this for iSCSI-2 could be to mandate a
    better generic alternative - if one exists by then.

    Comments?
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka