    RE: iSCSI: No Framing

    Without bogging down the list in a debate about storage subsystems, I must
    say that there are examples to the contrary w.r.t. the usage of subsystem
    cache.

    iSCSI is, of course, more than just storage-to-storage.  But we should not
    limit iSCSI to just host-to-storage.  Remember, storage subsystems can (and
    are, in some cases) both initiator and target at the same time.

    The original thread began with a question (paraphrased) about '...what
    applications could consume a 10G pipe for long periods of time'.  I answered
    that question - disk-disk backup and subsystem replication.

    FC is not sufficient.  Storage-to-storage needs all the advantages as well
    as that which iSCSI has to offer the host-storage model.

    >Direct placement is needed with low latency high bandwidth to reduce
    >overhead lost during a subsequent memory copy.

    This assumes a subsequent memory copy.

    >SCTP offers a means of
    >implementing direct placement without kludging a portion of
    >the application
    >beneath the transport.  In addition, this direct placement
    >scheme can be
    >done in an general fashion to support thousands of higher
    >level protocols.
    >As with most SAN, network related failures are not well
    >tolerated, so the
    >added robustness of SCTP becomes highly beneficial.

    Having read this list since its creation, I choose to not participate in the
    SCTP/TCP religious war.

    >In establishing a large remote mirror, the highest bandwidth means of
    >initialization would be physical transport of the image.  Once
    >initialized,
    >only differential information is exchanged largely limited by
    >the bandwidth
    >and error rate of the interconnect.

    Well put.  Consider 3-10 TB of differential per day as a start.  Consider
    images of 100s to 1,000s of TB, spread across 100s to 1,000s of 15KRPM (or
    more, stay tuned) spindles.  Now, we're talking.

    Rob

    Rob Peglar
    Corporate Architect
    XIOtech Corporation, a Seagate Company
    (314) 308-6983

    >Doug
    >
    >> De-lurking...
    >>
    >> Right now, I'd say disk-disk backup/restore and mirroring.
    >The individual
    >> disk devices of today can perform at ~70 MB/s.  One need
    >only gang 14 of
    >> these together, streaming, to reach nearly 1000 MB/s, or 1 GB/s,
    >> or 8 Gb/s.
    >> The disk devices of tomorrow are going to perform at rates
    >approaching 100
    >> MB/s per spindle.  Only ten devices are then necessary.
    >>
    >> This would be a single TCP stream (one initiator, one
    >target, many LUs).
    >>
    >> If one has to mirror (/move) 10 TB in a reasonable amount of
    >> time, say, then
    >> a stream of 1 GB/s is not only necessary, but paramount.  Even at
    >> that rate,
    >> it would still take nearly three hours to move just 10 TB.  In a
    >> business-critical recovery situation, three hours is an eon.
    >>
    >> Don't think application (CPU/memory in a server) to storage.
    >> Think storage
    >> to storage.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>
    >> Rob Peglar