    RE: iSCSI: No Framing

    Pat,

    The macroscopic behavior of the TCP congestion avoidance algorithm by
    Mathis, Semke, Mahdavi & Ott in Computer Communication Review, July 97,
    provides a simple formula for an upper bound on the TCP transfer rate:

    Rate <= (MSS/RTT)*(1/sqrt{p})

    A .004% loss rate with 1460 MSS, and 100 ms RTT would be less than 2.3 MB/s
    or 18 Mb/s.

    In your senario, there would be a requirement to buffer 230 KB.  The system
    will also see a reduction in send traffic accommodating receiver side
    recovery following 157 packets after a loss seen about every 25,000 packets.
    There should be little concern about dealing with a single connection across
    great distances working at phenomenal data rates unless packet loss becomes
    diminishingly small.  The cost for such a connection will also make related
    memory concerns diminishingly small as well.  Reliability and security
    should easily override benefits seen by placing the application below TCP as
    advocated.

    If you wish to implement framing, then may I suggest such a scheme is
    possible using SCTP without placing the application beneath the transport.
    SCTP offers may other benefits needed in any mission critical application.
    You would save your customer grief by not introducing obsolete equipment as
    there is already this emerging standard that provides many improvements over
    such a kludge.

    Doug

Last updated: Mon Feb 04 12:18:22 2002
8615 messages in chronological order