    RE: iSCSI: No Framing

    Somesh,
    This is not fair, we asked for Chip Vendors that were planning on using it,
    to make themselves known and to tell us why.  Without exposing internal
    designs, he has tried to do that, likewise Trebia, and some others have
    said they want FIMs.  You may not want FIMs for your design, but you should
    respect these folks that have been following our spec and found it to be
    valuable in their designs.  They are putting their money on it not just
    talk, so we should at least give them the credit which their position
    deserves.  Yes, of course they are disappointed with the rhetoric around
    this issue, since they and others have been following the spec, and can not
    understand why others haven't, since they have determined it to be of
    significant value.

    His note does speak to the issues. (And clearly has some silly parts :-)

    In fact he has found it of enough value to use now, since he believes they
    can not wait for iWARP to happen before the issue is addressed (and he
    really wants iWARP).  It should be useful to listen to folks that are
    willing to put their money where their mouth is.

    OK, that said: don't you think we can find a way to address both your
    position and their position, since they both seem strong and heart felt.  I
    would think that the "Should Implement" or at least "May Implement" would
    give both sides enough reasonable room to meet on an even business plane.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Somesh Gupta" <somesh_gupta@silverbacksystems.com>@ece.cmu.edu on
    02/01/2002 07:10:13 PM

    Please respond to <somesh_gupta@silverbacksystems.com>