    RE: Edited Minutes of the 1/29/02 IPS Security Conference call

    Answering a private question to the list due to general
    interest:

    > When would an initiators IPsec implementation would be
    > an IPsec gateway one (or is there a scenario where
    > an initiator would be acting as an IPsec gateway?)

    When it functions as a security gateway as defined by
    RFC 2401.  The IP Storage specifications would not set down
    any rules for determining this - there would be a reference
    to RFC 2401 and implementers would make their own
    determinations.

    In general, if there's a private network link
    (physical or virtual) over which packets are forwarded
    between the IPsec implementation and the IP Storage
    implementation (e.g., iSCSI Initiator), then the IPsec
    implementation is most probably a security gateway.
    This need not always be the case (e.g., in the presence
    of sufficient architectural "cleverness"), and there are
    other situations in which the IPsec implementation may be
    a security gateway even in the absence of such a private
    link. Also, please note that Transport mode is not
    forbidden for security gateways, it is just not required.

    To understand this topic, there is really no substitute for
    the relevant portions of RFC 2401 - I would recommend that
    anyone who is interested in this topic read RFC 2401 from
    its beginning through at least the end of Section 4.3.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Fri Feb 01 13:17:55 2002
8595 messages in chronological order