    RE: iscsi : iscsi specific CHECK CONDITIONS.

    • To: "IPS Reflector" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>, "T10 Reflector" <t10@t10.org>
    • Subject: RE: iscsi : iscsi specific CHECK CONDITIONS.
    • From: "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott@compaq.com>
    • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:56:29 -0600
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    If you get such errors in the service delivery subsystem,
    the REPORT LUNS is not "able to return the requested
    LUN inventory." The command must be considered unsuccessful
    if a CRC error occurs, the data length is suspect, etc.
    I don't think there is any conflict in the wording today.

    INQUIRY is worded exactly the same way as REPORT LUNS.

    Perhaps the REQUEST SENSE wording is clearer and should
    be applied to REPORT LUNS and INQUIRY:

      The device server shall return CHECK CONDITION
      status for a REQUEST SENSE command only to report
      exception conditions specific to the command itself.
      For example:
      a) An invalid field value is detected in the CDB;
      b) An unrecovered parity error is detected by
         the service delivery subsystem; or
      c) A target malfunction that prevents return of
         the sense data.

    ---
    Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
    Robert.Elliott@compaq.com