    Re: "Lower overhead" iSCSI

    Dan,

    We don't want start this discussion - it is out of the charter of this group.
    A bit of advise - before even getting to the public - we at IBM did run a testbed with the following results:
    • no advantage for UDP on any relevant performance metric (including CPU utilization) even before considering the effects or recovery code
    • on most stacks it performed worse (rumor has it that stacks have TCP very well tuned, not so UDP)

      Adding to that the lack of congestion control took it out of our vocabulary.

      DCP if successful and widely deployed may change that in the future. Or SCTP may.

      Julo

      Dan_McConnell@Dell.com
      Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

      30-01-02 00:29