    RE: iSCSI: Framing Steps

    Sridhar,

         IP networks so far have managed to handle packet drops
         (without complete retransmissions) without FIM. Again,
         I think the statement below is way overstating the case
         and you may want to add the significant number of
         qualifiers associated with it.

    >    In fact, FIM directly addresses this very spirit.
    >
    >    We may want to add a note in the iSCSI draft that
    >    implementations should try to honor the RFC1122-SHOULD
    >    when the sender is not willing to supply markers.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Shridhar Mukund

         I think there is substantial disagreement as to whether
         any approach meets the objectives that people are
         attempting (of course there is probably no agreement
         on the requirements either). The debate so far, even
         though intelligent, has been at the surface and high
         level.

         I think to resolve this requires experimentation, or
         at least a very detailed hypothetical technical design
         and analysis (I would be more than happy to at least
         take pot-shots so the design and analysis would be
         more thorough).

         It will make visible at the compromises and assumptions
         being made - people can then decide whether we want
         iSCSI to make those assumptions and compromises.

         (or perhaps that will require people to share too much?)

    > Reference : David's response dtd 14 Jan. to my email:
    >
    > >    b. I strongly recommend SHOULD implement FIM on the send side.
    > >       Implication -> Senders that do not insert markers should be
    > >       willing to accept up to RTT*BW data drops! Headers being
    > >       "reasonably" out-of-order is OK. Of course, senders that do not
    > >       insert markers but are willing to pay big $$$ to the SSP will
    > >       get their buffer/BW allocation as usual and customary :-)
    >
    > I think the Implication is too strong, as it goes against the following
    > SHOULD from RFC 1122 (which modifies RFC 793):
    >
    >          4.2.2.20  Event Processing: RFC-793 Section 3.9
    >
    >             While it is not strictly required, a TCP SHOULD be capable
    >             of queueing out-of-order TCP segments.
    >
    > A drop causes the segments up to the retransmission of the drop to
    > be out-of-order.  This does not preclude "SHOULD implement FIM", but
    > the above Implication is overdone in my view as it appears to condone
    > drops of all out-of-order segments.

Last updated: Tue Jan 29 01:17:44 2002
8530 messages in chronological order