    RE: iSCSI: Framing Steps

    David,

    > Attempting to kill a few red herrings ...

    A "red herring" is irrelevance offered to distract.  For red herrings, your
    statements are examples.

    > TCP is vulnerable to packet injection based on guessing or observing
    > the initial sequence number in the absence of fixed-interval-markers
    > (FIM).  The well-known connection hijack attack is an example.  An
    > attacker can inject arbitrary data into a connection without FIM and
    > cause TCP to misbehave as a result.  FIM does not make this any
    > easier or change the ways in which TCP would misbehave when attacked
    > in this fashion.

    FIM enables *processing* of packets out of sequence from the initial send.
    The intent of FIM is to make such processing possible and that *does* enable
    a greater opportunity for attack especially if the measure is predictable
    within future headers.

    > FIM does not entail any changes to TCP.  TCP does not care about
    > where incoming data is placed in memory - it cares about the order
    > in which data is processed by TCP and delivered to the application.

    A process that examines application specific structures at the packet (IP)
    level, to then move portions of the expected TCP byte stream into user space
    based on application references matching these structures, is *not* a
    modification to TCP provided there is a *sequential* order of delivery?
    Clearly placing a portion of the application below TCP is a modification to
    TCP and network layering.  Are you referring to a means at the TCP API to
    hide this activity?  Are you saying that the TCP API does not change?  How
    is this done without changing TCP?

    The application specific processing below this modified TCP transport is to
    de-encapsulate the iSCSI payloads into user space. iSCSI user space may not
    be satisfied in the sequence they were established.  The complexity involved
    will require modification of TCP to support this buffer handling and
    application specific structure processing.  In the case of iSCSI, the
    content of the byte stream is not known before hand.  This activity below
    TCP places and splices sections of the TCP byte stream into designated iSCSI
    user space.  Clearly there are many questions one may have with respect to
    what and when TCP validates and delivers.  TCP could easily reject a packet
    based on the byte sequence within headers that was not rejected by this
    "below the transport process" that would be unable to see the header
    continuum.  This added state below the TCP transport provides opportunity
    for attack or in some implementations, poor behavior.

    > The intended usage of FIM affects only the placement of incoming
    > data in memory and hence does not change TCP.

    Placement of application specific payloads into regions matched against
    application specific structure content prior to being handled by the TCP
    layer is a change to TCP.  TCP is not able to manipulate buffers in this
    manner without extensive modification.  Such modification is quite possible
    however, and all the details should be explored before the use of this
    scheme is placed into a standards draft however.  My concern remains that
    the IPS wg is NOT the place to discuss these concerns as that is not their
    expertise nor their charter.

    > Meanwhile, Doug appears to have resumed his smear campaign against
    > the IPS wg.  Here are three examples:
    >
    > > FIM has been suggested by those within the IPS wg that implementers
    > > consider implementing an otherwise obnoxious scheme requiring the
    > > injection of markers or suffer from discarded data otherwise
    > > retained using standard versions of TCP.
    >
    > Indeed it is obnoxious, and Doug conveniently omitted the fact that the
    > original message in this thread contains a strong suggestion from this
    > IPS wg chair that such an implementation approach is a bad idea because
    > it violates an important SHOULD in RFC 1122 (SHOULD queue out of order
    > data).
    > Scroll to the bottom of this email - it's still there ...

    As you point out, I did include such a statement made by you.  You have also
    asked the group to drive the framing issue to conclusion but you failed to
    indicate that such discussion should not take place within the IPS.  Ensure
    that an error is not made where everyone expects such modifications to TCP
    even if done unofficially by the IPS.

    > > It is clear this group wishes extensive modifications to TCP and
    > > does not wish to share these details openly.
    >
    > Extensive is in the eye of the beholder, but ALL of the proposed framing
    > schemes have been openly described on the IPS and/or TSVWG lists and/or
    > in Internet-Drafts.

    That is a valid statement.  In this case, these details should be extensive
    to ensure some problem is not overlooked.

    > > One suggestion was to have each iSCSI PDU become framed by a
    > > TCP segment. Just the reduction in the average packet size within
    > > a high bandwidth stream will stress standard versions of TCP as
    > > well as the intervening equipment. SCTP had the foresight to
    > > include bundling methods.  This is just one aspect of these
    > > proposals to fail consideration within the IPS wg.
    >
    > This refers to draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ulp-frame-01.txt, a tsvwg that
    > proposes changing TCP.  Despite Doug's proclamations that the IPS wg
    > should not be discussing changes to TCP, he now criticizes the IPS
    > wg for failing to discuss an aspect of a change to TCP???  There's
    > just no pleasing some people ... especially as I don't recall this
    > specific issue being raised in the past.

    I think your using the word smear and this cynical statement are intended to
    divert attention from concerns expressed rather than addressing them.  My
    critique was with respect to expertise within the IPS in regard to transport
    related issues.  A discussion within the IPS should not be expected to fully
    vent transport related concerns nor should the IPS be able to declare
    closure on this subject.

    Doug

    > Thanks,
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Mon Jan 28 00:17:48 2002
8508 messages in chronological order