    From: Mark Bakke [mailto:mbakke@cisco.com]
    Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 9:05 AM
    To: LEMAY,KEVIN (A-Roseville,ex1)
    Cc: ssenum@cisco.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu; Eddy_Quicksall@ivivity.com
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: invalid key value

    "LEMAY,KEVIN (A-Roseville,ex1)" wrote:

    > This is an area that is open to interpretation in the spec.
    >
    > My interpretation is:
    >
    > Any parameter defined in appendix D can only have the values represented
    in
    > the appendix. To offer any thing not defined in the spec for these well
    > defined parameters is a format error. The first option offered is an
    invalid
    > one, thus a format error has occurred.

    This makes the iSCSI draft non-extensible through other drafts.
    There are a lot of value-added things that can be done, either
    by other drafts/RFCs adding new methods to iSCSI, or through
    vendor-specific methods.  The iSCSI revision number has little
    to do with text keys; it is primarily a PDU format version
    number.  If we have to change the base iSCSI spec and version
    every thing a new authentication method is made available,
    for example, we will be turning out too many big RFCs.  Better
    to have a good, extensible "base" iSCSI protocol, and add
    new authentication or digest methods through separate RFCs.

    Otherwise, we would have done better to keep the login exchange
    as a set of binary keys and values, instead of text.

    > If newer options are added to the spec, then they would be defined for
    that
    > revision and see no problem. The values offered must be consistent with
    the
    > version number sent in the login request. If new key values are added to a
    > spec and the initiator supports a range of versions. Only key pairs and
    > values common to the requests versions should be offered. If this is not
    > true, then the spec needs to be updated to make it clear that not
    understood
    > key values should be passed over and only rejected if no valid option
    > exists.

    I disagree.  This makes it too difficult to add new methods to
    the iSCSI protocol.  A new PDU format revision should not be
    necessary to add an authentication method.

    > The spec is clear on the behavior when a format error occurs. A target
    > should reject the login and close the connection.
    >
    > On further review, NotUnderStood is not the correct response. The correct
    > response would be: "DataDigest=Reject"

    This response should be sent only if NONE of the offered methods
    are supported.  If any method offered is recognized and supported,
    that method will be returned by the target.

    --
    Mark

    --
    Mark A. Bakke