    iSCSI:eui64node

    This came up at the last, IETF meeting, and most folks disagreed with it.
    But I think it was useful to get it put into a draft form where we could
    respond completely.

    The Draft seems to confuse the NODE name with a physical HBA ID.  And it is
    not obvious that there is a complete understanding of Multiple Connections
    per Session as they apply across HBAs (Portals).

    I think you were trying to make sure that the WWNN was unique across the
    different Gateways, but since it includes a eui that has a vendor ID, you
    must be worried about Gateways from the same vendor. (which I also do not
    see as a problem which others should worry about).   In any event I did not
    fully understand the problem, and the solution was even less clear.

    Anyway somehow you are trying to make iSCSI node name be a name of an
    adapter, and we took many pains to absolutely avoid that.

    I also did not understand in your negotiation examples.

    What you are asking for is  iSCSI Initiators to have a 64bit name on top of
    the 48 bit ISID and the long REAL node name that can be 255 Bytes long.
    Just so some gateway does not coordinate with its partner Gateway.  That
    means that either ALL HBAs and iSCSI Device Drivers must deal with this
    total name, just in case there is a non coordinating Gateway in the middle
    some where.  This does not seem like a good idea to me.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

Last updated: Tue Jan 29 17:18:00 2002
8551 messages in chronological order