    Re: iSCSI:regarding connection shutdown

    Sastry,

    Thanks for the close review.

    As I mentioned in an earlier response to Nandakumar
    on this subject, the "graceful connection shutdown"
    is referring to a graceful TCP connection shutdown.

    With that said, the usage of "and" in the quoted sentence
    was meant to underline the point that a connection shutdown
    must be initiated only after the Logout dialogue is cleanly
    complete - a mere `no active tasks` is not sufficient to
    drop the connection - since iSCSI connection and session
    structures would hang around (until timeout, waiting for
    session continuation) if a clean logout is not done.  This
    was sought to be actively discouraged.

    On thinking more about it, I think perhaps this sentence
    says more than is necessary.  It's completely legitimate
    for initiators to Logout("close") a connection to implicitly
    abort all active tasks.  If one merely ensures that the
    connection is *not* in the FFP to start a TCP connection
    close, that is completely adequate (since the active tasks
    if any, were automatically taken care of in the Logout process).
    So, I would actually suggest wording like -

     "A graceful connection shutdown MUST be initiated only
      when the connection is not in full-feature phase."

    We already have wording there that takes care of outstanding
    tasks -"Connection termination with outstanding commands
    may require recovery actions."

    Also, I noticed that the section doesn't consistently use
    "termination" - we need to address that aspect as well.

    Please comment if something isn't clear.

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Subrahmanya Sastry K V wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    >  Section 1.2.6 of the iscsi draft 07 says :
    > "Graceful connection shutdowns MUST only occur when there are no
    > outstanding tasks that have allegiance to the connection or when the
    > connection is not in full-feature phase."
    >
    > But section 2.2.6 of the iscsi draft 08 and 09 say :
    > "Graceful connection shutdowns MUST only occur when there are no
    > outstanding tasks that have allegiance to the connection and when the
    > connection is not in full-feature phase."
    >
    > The sentence mentioned in draft 07 sounds clear as it talks about the
    > two possibilities of graceful connection shutdown.
    > But the same sentence in draft 08 and 09 suggests a different meaning
    > because of 'and'. Is there any reason why this has been changed to
    > 'and' ?
    >
    > I'm asking this because this change has not been recorded in the
    > change log. Please clarify .
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sastry
    >
    > --