    Re: iSCSI: Markers

    Stuart,
    thanks for the contribution.

    I found your views interesting, however, in the last part of your message,
    when you attempted to contrast it to FIM, you mixed a Framing discussion
    with a marker discussion.  Here is what I mean:

    You made much of your arguments to address COWS as being part of a Framing
    (Forcing Segmentation alignment with PDUs).  Many of us are already a fan
    of Framing, and understand that both the Key+length and COWS have an
    important debate to hold with lots of real world ASIC Vendor Input needed.

    But then you jumped to contrasting COWS with Framing vrs FIM.  That has not
    been the focus of the discussion.  I can not think of anyone that is
    suggesting FIM in place of any Framing approach.  Framing is the goal, and
    honest debate on the Type, will be needed and be useful.  The debate then
    occurs in two areas, what do we do until we have a Framing solution
    (Framing being out of the domain of iSCSI, so we must wait until one is
    accepted before we can point to it.), and what kind of a Framing solution
    should we wish, so that we can influence the Framing debate.  Hence the Six
    Options.

    So some of your discussions on COWS, is completely valid for Framing, but
    is not quite as useful, without framing. When it comes to not having
    Framing (with Segmentation starts, etc) some will argue that COWS is much
    more complex, and much higher overhead.

    So again, thank you for your contribution, I just wanted to correct that
    slight misalignment at the end of your note.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com> on 01/11/2002 05:39:17 PM