    Re: iSCSI: Markers

    In message <NMEALCLOIBCHBDHLCMIJMEBJCKAA.somesh_gupta@silverbacksystems.com>,
    "Somesh Gupta" writes:

    >  By PDU processing do you imply
    >  doing the word stuffing processing?

    Yes, that's part of it.

    >  It should be something
    >  that can be rolled into the copy loop (if iSCSI is in user space
      [...]

    This is still a change to the TCP _implementation_. Only the
    implementor of the TCP and the kernel/user boundary can do it, and it
    has to be tied, somehow, to the particular socket/fd/whatever is using
    not just TCP, but iSCSI-over-TCP.

    The issue I see here isn't IETF mandates: its that reasonable-quality
    software implementations require changes to code which may well be
    beyond the control (or even the access) of the iSCSI implementor.

    >  NOTE: If the data is touched once anyway, the cost of an additional
    >  touch is fairly minimal because everything is in the processor cache.

    No, it isn't, not always.  I can think of at least three SIGCOM/TON
    papers, measuring data on top-end 1996 vintage machines, on which this
    assumption has been conclusively shown to be wrong. That
    price/performance point is still quite viable.  Torsten Braun and
    Christoph Diot had one paper in SIGCOMM 95 and later in ToN; I dont
    recall the other one (my Stanford office papers are all packed).

    I can't speak to COWS. I have done a COBS implementation, and the
    byte-insertion meant that COBS dirtied every cache line; it turned out
    simpler and faster to just do another copy.

    [...]

    [header options]

    My understanding is that the limited option space, and the rather
    large demand on it which SACK can generate in wide-area links
    (transatlantic can regularly show 50% drop rate!), means our friendly
    transport representatives are reluctant to admit further use of TCP options.

    As I said, I'm willing to examine the numbers with the people I know.
    I'd be for it, myself.

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 17:18:00 2002
8354 messages in chronological order