    Re: iSCSI Markers

    Glenn-

    I agree that TUF is a better solution for iSCSI, and do
    not believe that either TUF or Markers are needed for this
    first version of the iSCSI protocol.

    I believe that the best solution so far for iSCSI framing is
    in TUF/PDU Alignment or to use another message protocol instead
    of TCP.  Adding markers using either method is not usable by
    any other application than iSCSI, and adds some demands on
    implementations that can not make use of it anyway.

    Regardless of whether it is standard, TUF is not that hard
    to do, and it's what we should be doing.  Without a more
    general solution like TUF, TCP will start running out of gas
    for other applications as well as iSCSI, and we will have to
    go look at other protocols instead when we get to 10G and
    beyond.  I don't think that modifications to the usage of
    TCP are outside the scope of what iSCSI should influence.  We
    clearly can't just do the work ourselves in a bubble, since
    that's not our charter.  But we can certainly influence other
    high-bandwidth TCP users to help come up with good, general
    solutions.  I don't think that the cost/performance problems
    that markers are trying to solve really exist today.  We can
    deal with the performance issues at the expense of more
    memory on NIC cards, or by doing scatter-gather on storage
    devices and gateways.  It just costs a little more.  As the
    market for iSCSI stuff develops, and costs have to go down,
    we can address this by doing the right solution, which I
    do not believe involved markers.  iSCSI is not the only
    protocol that is used to carry data on a network.  NFS, CIFS,
    DAFS, FTP, HTTP, and others carry far more data than iSCSI.
    If we don't solve the problems for these as well, our NIC
    offload cards will eventually have to have "special" code
    for each one of these, which may end up being just as
    expensive than adding some memory.

    I personally think that there is no reason to mandate markers
    or framing of any kind in this iSCSI RFC.  We are just not
    ready, and we already have enough things (security) that are
    mandated that will not be part of most implementations anyway.
    We are just not ready for the real solution yet.

    Those who wish to use markers for the time being should
    certainly do so, but we must not (oops, should have said
    that in caps :-) mandate their implementation and use.
    If markers stay in the draft in either form, they should
    remain optional.

    Just my opinions,

    Mark

    --