    RE: iSCSI: Markers

    With the disclaimer that I am skeptical of the
    value of markers and definitely opposed to
    mandating them, I would add the following
    comment regarding COWS.

    I believe its more important to make the
    transmit side "happy" than the receive side.
    There are two reasons here.

    1.  It is desired to have much wider deployment
        of transmit side COWS, since the receive
        side is an option that many (most) vendors
        will choose not to support.  Transmit side
        may want (need) to be supported anyway
        for the benefit of other implementations
        that require it.

    2.  NIC designers can defer
        fetching transmit data until late in the
        pipeline.  All protocol processing, header
        formatting, and bookkeeping can be done
        prior to fetching the data.  Therefore
        the transmit pipeline will have a small
        amount of time to fully implement the COWS
        algorithm.

        On the receive side pipeline, the COWS algorithm
        can be done in parallel with the protocol
        processing since that is done when all the data
        is present in the receive buffer.  The
        receive COWS algorithm can be done in place in the
        receive buffer, so backward pointers are
        not a problem.

        An efficient transmit COWS algorithm requires that
        hardware check each word in the outgoing
        PDU, whereas an efficient receive algorithm requires
        checking only the pointer (other than exceptional
        cases).

    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

Last updated: Wed Jan 09 11:17:52 2002
8325 messages in chronological order