    Re: iSCSI: ERL=1 question.

    Santosh,

    Regarding (B), I did not even venture to imply that there would be a
    stat_sn hole.

    I'm a little confused about your data snack recovery rule, but that is
    besides the point and I can discuss this offline with you.

    My chief concern is that ERL 1 leaves open the possibility for duplicate
    SCSI status PDUs. There are three solutions:

    1. Leave it to implementors who can use their judgement to decide which
    status to ignore.
    2. Formulate a tight rule: status PDU with higher stat_sn number always
    wins.
    3. Change the standard so that duplication does not happen.

    I would like the standard to at least discuss this and then state what path
    they chose and why (with good reason of course). I do not think that this
    is merely an implementation issue.

    My preference is of course: 3,2,1.

       Prasenjit Sarkar
       Research Staff Member
       IBM Almaden Research
       San Jose

                        Santosh Rao
                        <santoshr@cup.       To:     Prasenjit Sarkar/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
                        hp.com>              cc:     ips@ece.cmu.edu
                        Sent by:             Subject:     Re: iSCSI: ERL=1 question.
                        owner-ips@ece.
                        cmu.edu

                        01/03/2002
                        06:45 PM

    Prasenjit,

    Regarding your question (B)....

    Anytime the initiator's receive path successfully receives a pdu and
    passes format and digest error tests, the local state information of
    exp_cmdsn, max_cmdsn, statsn should be updated based on the values that
    are carried in that pdu and the rules specified in Section 2.2.2.

    Thus, in your below context, when the first scsi status pdu was
    received, the exp_statsn should have gotten updated and there should not
    have been any hole in statsn sequence. What am I missing (?)

    Regarding your question (A)...

    You may have read more into my answer than was intended.

    It is not the job of the lower layered pdu assembly path to filter out
    duplicate scsi status pdu's. Rather, this intelligence would lie within
    the module (finite state machine) that implemented the i/o path logic.

    While a data_snack has been sent and the i/o state machine is awaiting
    missing data pdu's , any received scsi status for that exchange must not
    be sent up to the SCSI ULP. Upon successful receipt of all the missing
    data pdu[s], the status can then be conveyed to the ULP.

    (I don't have a strong opinion either way, if we should have to state
    the above in the draft, or leave it unsaid as implementation specifics.
    I guess, at some point we cross over into the realm of an implementation
    guide vs a protocol specification :)

    - Santosh

    Prasenjit Sarkar wrote:

    > I'm assuming Santosh wanted to reply to the entire group, so I am
    > forwarding his response to the mailing list.
    >
    > Santosh's argument is to provide the (unstated) rule that data assembly
    is
    > the domain of a lower iSCSI layer whose job is to filter out duplicate
    SCSI

    Sarkar/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
    >                     hp.com>              cc:
    >                     Sent by:             Subject:     Re: iSCSI: ERL=1
    question.
    >                     santoshr@cup.h
    >                     p.com
    >

    >                     01/03/2002
    >                     05:00 PM
    >

    > Prasenjit,

    > Regards,
    > Santosh
    >
    > Prasenjit Sarkar wrote:
    > >
    > > Assume the following scenario where I and T stand for initiator and
    > target
    > > respectively.
    > >
    > > 1. I->T: Scsi Cmd
    > >
    > > 2. T->I: Scsi Data (DataSN:0)
    > >
    > > 3. T->I: Scsi Status (Good)
    > >
    > > Assume there is a data digest problem for the data with DataSN:0, so
    > >
    > > 4. I->T: Data Snack for DataSN:0
    > >
    > > The target for some reason cannot respond with the data, so according
    > > the spec
    > >
    > > 5: T->I: Reject with reason DATA_SNACK_REJECT
    > >
    > > 6. T->I: Scsi Status (iSCSI response: SNACK rejected -> SCSI READ
    Error)

    > > The questions are as follows:
    > >
    > > A. Is SAM ambivalent of the fact that there can be two statii for the
    > same
    > > command? (I dont have a problem if SAM doesnt)
    >
    > I'm not certain on what SAM says on this one. However, one can envision
    > that the iscsi i/o finite state machine would enter into some state upon
    > encountering a datasn hole, say, data_snack_sent, and it should ignore
    > any scsi status received while in this state.
    > The lower pdu receive and re-assembly module should have passed format
    > and digest checks (assuming the frame came thru fine) and so, the local
    > value of exp_statsn should have gotten updated within this initiator
    > instance's iscsi connection finite state machine.
    >
    > Thus.....
    > i) since the 1st status was ignored while awaiting a data_snack
    > response, only 1 scsi status ends up being processed by the i/o finite
    > state m/c.
    >
    > ii) there will not be a statsn hole, since the previous status was
    > received successfully by the receive path, resulting in an update to
    > exp_statsn. however, the staus was discarded within the i/o fsm.
    >

    > > B, Does the second SCSI status have the same StatSN as the first?
    Likely,

    --
    Santosh Rao

Last updated: Fri Jan 04 16:17:44 2002