    Re: iSCSI: "conservative reuse" requirement

    I think we're getting close to wrapping this up.

    >Once that's done, what's the value in permitting operating modes
    > other than "conservative reuse"?

    I thought we already discussed this - that of two initiator NICs
    each establishing a session (acting as independent initiator ports)
    to a different target portal group.

    >Is anyone
    > making significant changes to this "bus walker" boot paradigm out there?

    Not that I know of.  But keep in mind that the nexii established
    for the boot discovery process may not have to be kept around
    persistently by initiators (as a matter of fact, I know that HP-UX
    does not).  There are also other cases - DLKM drivers, dynamically
    discovered targets etc - which do not have nexii from boot time.
    But again, I prefer to leave it there since this is a little orthogonal
    to the current issue.

    > - SHOULD use "conservative reuse" in setting up sessions

    I guess this is okay, the other alternative/complement is wording
    (proposed earlier in this thread) that focuses on where conservative
    reuse is a MUST.

    > - SHOULD use "conservative reuse" in setting up sessions from the same
    >         Initiator Portal Group (set of IP addresses) to different Target
    >         Portal Groups

    In the sense you used "initiator portal group" here, it ought to be
    defined
    (otherwise, simply use "initiator node" in your sentence) as "the set of
    initiator portals sharing the same ISID Type & ISID Naming Authority
    values
    and sharing one ISID Qualifier name space, and that allow a session to
    span
    an arbitrary subset of the portals."

    IOW, if two NICs A and B from the same vendor (so same Type and Naming
    Authority) are present in a host (so share the ISID Qualifier space,
    perhaps
    with a s/w "ISID allocator" in the host or whatever), but can not span a
    session across them, then they are technically two independent
    "initiator
    portal groups".

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

> [...]
    > > system call in Unix systems).
    >
    > I strongly disagree with that.  Virtually all commercial OS implementations
    > of SCSI do aggressive establishments of the nexii as part of the boot
    > sequence,
    > as SCSI code tends to expect a "bus walker" to find devices in the boot
    > sequence, and make sure they work.  Put a trace analyzer to work on a boot
    > and watch all the TEST UNIT READY and similar commands flow by.  Is anyone
    > making significant changes to this "bus walker" boot paradigm out there?
    >
    > There's also a subtle issue to watch out for here in that this delays
    > error discovery - if the shared persistent reservations are being
    > used by cluster software, discovering that the alternate path nexus can't
    > be established when trying to fail over to it is way too late.  For things
    > like quorum volumes, I'm fairly sure that cluster software checks all the
    > access paths at initialization time, but can someone familiar with cluster
    > software comment on whether the alternate access paths needed for failover
    > of application volumes are checked in advance, vs. relying on the OS to
    > complain if the SCSI connection to the device didn't set up correctly?
    >
    > > But in any case, it appears to be in the implementation territory.
    >
    > That's something I can agree with - namely that when nexii are established
    > is an orthogonal issue to the session identifiers used to establish
    > them, although I would caution implementers that there's a lot of code
    > out there that operates under the "bus walker" paradigm and hence wants
    > to see nexii (sessions) established aggressively.  In a code stack that
    > doesn't operate under the "bus walker" paradigm, "conservative reuse"
    > is still applicable, as it need only constrain what ISIDs have to be
    > used, and not when they are used.
    >
    > Taking a whack at requirements, I think there are at least two of them:
    > - MUST support "conservative reuse" without requiring any iSCSI sessions
    >         to be terminated in order to set up the required sessions (i.e.,
    >         one can take the ISID from an existing session and a target portal
    >         group to which that ISID is not in use and set up an iSCSI session
    >         with that ISID without having to terminate any existing session for
    >         ISID usage reasons - this is tricky to state precisely when the
    >         possibility of allowing sessions to be set up on the fly well after
    >         booting is allowed).
    > - SHOULD use "conservative reuse" in setting up sessions from the same
    >         Initiator Portal Group (set of IP addresses) to different Target
    >         Portal Groups (i.e., reuse an existing ISID in preference to
    >         creating a new one).
    > I presume the "mapping police" will let us know if Initiator Portal Group
    > is not the right term for the second requirement ;-).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Thu Jan 03 15:17:55 2002
8274 messages in chronological order