    RE: FCIP: Short Frame Security Solution Proposal

    I think this is a workable approach.  A few comments:

    - There are a dependencies among a number of components
    	on who supports what, some of which are under
    	T11's control.  If it turns out that the T11
    	aspects of this are not mandatory to implement,
    	I think multiple TCP connections in a single FCIP
    	session need to be disallowed if this authentication
    	cannot be performed by the implementation (i.e.,
    	is not implemented) - putting in a note to this effect
    	regardless of what T11 does might be a good idea
    	to decouple FCIP from FC-BB-2 in this area.
    - Any nonce must be validated ("yes, that's my connection")
    	at most once.  If the FC Entity on the other end
    	of the first connection is capable of saying "yes"
    	twice to the same nonce, there's an obvious
    	replay attack.
    - Some words will need to be added about a nasty race
    	condition in which the attacker opens up a
    	connection up to the point of sending the short
    	frame, watches a real connection get set up to
    	the point that the attacker sees the short frame
    	on the real connection; the attacker extracts and
    	uses the nonce, and TCP tricks (e.g., corrupt
    	the TCP packet containing the nonce to cause
    	a checksum failure, or send a well-timed RST).
    	The short answer to dealing with this is "use
    	IKE and also ESP encryption if warranted" when
    	this sort of attack is a concern.
    - I think it's necessary to authentication the first
    	TCP connection (up to FCAP or whatever) before
    	sending the ILS that would authenticate a
    	subsequent one, but details beyond that (e.g.,
    	can one send the SYN for the second TCP connection
    	before the first connection authenticates) are
    	probably up to implementations.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Wed Dec 26 11:17:48 2001
8204 messages in chronological order