    From: John Hufferd [mailto:hufferd@us.ibm.com]
    Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 4:19 PM
    To: Ostrowski, Stephen
    Cc: Ips (ips@ece.cmu.edu)
    Subject: Re: Initiator port groups????

    The direction you are going, is not the direction we intended to take
    iSCSI.  The Authentication and Masking should be done on an Initiator Node
    Name value, NOT based on an HBA.  There may be multiple HBAs involved in a
    single, iSCSI Session.  Also there might be more then one initiator in a
    Initiator Node (perhaps each with more then one HBA), I do not see why
    there would need to be management beyond the Node Name.  The Authentication
    is suppose to be done on a Node Name Basis.  In any event the Initiator
    does not have Portal Group Tags, and Target Portal Group tags are not
    required to be Static from Target Startup to Target Startup.  This
    Discovery process is suppose to Discover the current values of these items.
    They are NOT part of the NodeName.  Also, the Node Names are suppose to be
    Long lasting Names, portal groups have no such need.  So it is a twist to
    bring both together and call that an iSCSI Name.

    Now, if you just intend to do mapping for the purpose of rendering a
    picture of the network and connections, I suggest you look at the iSCSI MIB
    Drafts and see how that might be useful or the iSCSI Technical Work Group
    in SNIA, which is defining APIs for the HBAs.

    In other words you need to find another way to do what you want.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    "Ostrowski, Stephen" <Stephen.Ostrowski@emulex.com>@ece.cmu.edu on
    12/20/2001 07:31:30 AM

    Sent by:    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu