    Subject: iSCSI: same ISID
    Date:    Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:39:27 -0500
    From:   "Eddy Quicksall" <Eddy_Quicksall@ivivity.com>
    To:     "ips@ece. cmu. edu (E-mail)" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>

    Section 9.1.1 says:

    the same ISID should be used in the Login process to multiple target
    portal groups (of the same iSCSI Target or different iSCSI Targets).
    Note that the ISID RULE (2.5.3) only prohibits reuse to the same target
    portal group.  It also does not "preclude" reuse to other target portal
    groups.

    The principle of conservative reuse "encourages" reuse to other target
    portal groups.  When a SCSI target device sees the same (InitiatorName,
    ISID) pair in different sessions to different target portal groups, it
    can identify the underlying SCSI Initiator Port on  each session as the
    same SCSI port (in effect, it can recognize multiple paths from the same
    source).

    This is good but the target will still have to sort out ISID's when they
    are different under the same situations named above. So, since the
    target still has to have all the code to sort this out, what good is
    this statement?

    I think the only thing keeping us from saying you MUST use the same
    ISID's is the fact that we have allowed an iSCSI Initiator to have more
    than one session to the iSCSI Target Portal Group. Is that really
    necessary? If not, then we could make this a MUST and simplify the
    target code.

    Eddy

    --
    Santosh Rao