    Re: FCIP V07 suggestion

    Chong,

    You are correct. Section 8.1 cannot discuss frame transmission
    in terms of the FCIP Data Engine portals. The Data Engine and
    its portals do not exist until after the TCP connection is
    fully established after the Short Frame is transacted.

    In the next FCIP revision, I will scrub the "portal" wording
    out of section 8.1.

    Thanks.

    Ralph...

    > Hi,
    >
    > In the FCIP draft V07 (<draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-07.txt>) page 28, it
    > says:
    >
    > "After the TCP connect request has been accepted, the FCIP Entity
    > SHALL wait for the FCIP Short Frame sent by the originator of the
    > TCP connect request as the first bytes received through the
    > Encapsulated Frame Receiver Portal on the accepted connection."
    >
    > I think this text is confusing. The "FCIP Short Frame" cannot be
    > received through
    > the "Encapsulated Frame Receiver Portal" because this Portal
    > does not exist when the "FCIP Short Frame" is to be received:
    > (1) According to the draft (page 13), Portals (including "Encapsulated
    >     Frame Receiver Portal") belong to the FCIP_DE. This implies (to me)
    > that
    >     Portals cannot exist without their corresponding FCIP_DE.
    > (2) Again according to the draft (page 26 and page 29), FCIP_DE is
    > created
    >     only after "FCIP Short Frame" are exchanged between the originator
    > and
    >     recipient of the TCP connection.
    >
    > It might make sense for the aforementioned text in the draft be changed
    > to:
    >
    > "After the TCP connect request has been accepted, the FCIP Entity
    > SHALL wait for the FCIP Short Frame sent by the originator of the
    > TCP connect request as the first bytes received on the accepted
    > connection."
    >
    > Chong Peng

Last updated: Mon Dec 03 15:17:50 2001
7984 messages in chronological order