    Re: iSCSI: unsolicited data

    Julian,

    > Unsolicited data needs are very hard to predict and ordering them may
    > remove the need to do so to a large extent.

    Completely agreed.  There are obvious performance advantages in mandating
    order, as earlier discussions clearly outlined.  I am not questioning it.

    I however could not really see a deadlock per se - my comment was to
    understand
    what it is.    More comments would certainly help.

    > As for the action - yes we may want to weaken the requirement to
    > accommodate for digest errors.

    Thanks.  I meant to weaken the requirement on the response to a UUD, not
    the ordering requirement itself.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747

    > The deadlock free requirement here goes a bit deeper than your comment may
    > suggest.
    > Unsolicited data needs are very hard to predict and ordering them may
    > remove the need to do so to a large extent.
    > As for the action - yes we may want to weaken the requirement to
    > accommodate for digest errors.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Julo
    >

    > "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    > Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > 26-11-01 21:45
    > Please respond to cbm
    >

    >         To:     ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    >         cc:
    >         Subject:        iSCSI: unsolicited data
    >

    > Julian,
    >
    > I don't recall the earlier discussion being conclusive on this topic,
    > so let me attempt to make a couple of suggestions on this.
    >
    > Last para in Section 2.2.5 (page 33) in rev09 mandates unsolicited
    > data ordering with the following wording.
    >
    >   "iSCSI initiators and targets MUST also enforce some ordering rules to
    >    achieve deadlock-free operation. Unsolicited data MUST be sent on
    >    every connection in the same order in which commands were sent. A
    >    target receiving data out of order SHOULD terminate the session."
    >
    > I have a couple of suggestions to reword -
    >
    > - The reference to a deadlock is true only for an implementation
    >   overcommitting the unsolicited data buffers.  So, I would suggest
    >   dropping this reasoning.
    >
    > - The "MUST enforce"  wording should also add that "targets MAY
    >   however see unexpected unsolicited data (UUD), following data
    >   digest errors on expected unsolicited data."
    >
    > - Finally, the "SHOULD terminate the session", IMHO, is too strong.
    >   This wording will imply that a session is vulnerable to a single
    >   digest error regardless of recovery level.  [ I however disfavor
    >   attaching more assorted semantics to recovery levels (than the
    >   current easily understood "level = setof(recovery classes)"
    >   formulation). ]  As you mentioned on this discussion earlier, a
    >   UUD is a protocol error (or may be not, if it is the effect of
    >   a prior digest failure).
    >
    >   We can choose to Reject ("protocol error") the UUD and discard the
    >   data.  The only problem with this approach is: following a digest
    >   error on unsolicited data for one task, all the following unsolicited
    >   data in flight would have to be discarded.  One option is to imply
    >   that the target update the "expected unsolicited data"  so the
    >   unsolicited data following in the pipe can be processed normally.
    >   So, I guess it would be saying: "the target MAY Reject the UUD".
    >
    > Comments?
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >

    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Network Storage Solutions Organization
    > MS 5668          Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    > cbm@rose.hp.com

Last updated: Fri Nov 30 19:17:48 2001
7960 messages in chronological order