    RE: Selectively exposing Porgal Groups to Initiators

    > 1. Is it required that TargetAddresses of an iSCSI target advertised to a
    >    directory service include portal group tag ?

    Yes, information is necessary to communicate to the initiator which target
    addresses can be used to form a multi-connection session.

    > 2. Is it mandatory for an Initiator to use "SendTargets" to discover
    >    TargetAddress for an iSCSI target (even if if has a set of addresses
    >    either statically configured or found through a directory service)?

    To my knowledge no iSCSI document has declared it mandatory, but it's
    recommended to ensure the initiator has current addressing information for
    this target.

    > 3. Is it okay to restrict access to an Initiator (based on it's iSCSI
    name)
    >    to only a subset of total Target Portal Groups supported by the iSCSI
    >    target?

    Yes

    > In this scenario, an Initiator may find out the TargetAddresses for an
    iSCSI
    > target using a directory service, and try to connect a normal operational
    > session to any of these addresses without using SendTargets. The
    > iSCSI target can return an error code for login as "Initiator not
    Authorized"
    > which in fact is not
    > completely true. Initiator is authorized to only use a subset
    > of portal groups.

    Correct, although "not completely true" is subjective.  Another perspective
    is that this initiator is not authorized to use this *target port*, which is
    completely true.

    Marjorie

Last updated: Wed Nov 21 16:17:43 2001
7877 messages in chronological order