    RE: FCIP: NAPTs Solution Proposal (issue from Irvine, CA Interim meeting)

    David,

    > The existing text in the IPS security draft on pre-shared keys and IKE
    > authentication modes is fine in the absence of the recent WWN short
    > frame addition.  That addition changes the security properties of FCIP
    > by introducing an inband authentication/authorization for which it
    > is necessary to provide security.  Doing so without using an inband
    > authentication protocol impacts group pre-shared keys and other things.

    The main intent of WWN short frame is merely a mechanism to identify an FCIP
    entity peer and its properties not an inband authentication/authorization
    mechanism. The assumption here is that as long as IPSec performs a source IP
    address
    validation against IKE address identifiers, a receiving FCIP entity is
    guaranteed that the short frame was sent by the source referred to in the
    source IP address. If it makes through the authentication (ESP) process,
    the WWN can be processed for FCIP link identification. Even when an external
    IPSec
    gateway is in use, that gateway has already established the necessary
    IKE Phase 1 so any Phase 2 SAs over which the reveived short frames arrive
    are also secured from a spoof.

    If group pre-shared keys are in use, and one member of the group
    impersonates
    another member and sends an attack FCIP Short Frame, that would create/add
    that connection at the receiving FCIP entity. However, this attack is
    probably
    no different from a man-in-the-middle attack even in the absence of the
    FCIP Short Frame, when the group pre-shared key has been compromised and an
    attacker has gained it. For FCIP implementations (unlike iSCSI) we do not
    expect large groups being handed out "generic" group pre-shared keys.

    > In addition, that assumption makes IKE and ESP cryptographic
    > integrity at least "SHOULD use" for FCIP, and I can't promise that
    > the Security ADs will settle for "SHOULD use" as opposed to "MUST
    > use".  The reason for this change from the "MAY use" that applied
    > prior to the introduction of the WWN short frame is that the
    > authentication/authorization performed by that short frame is a
    > class of function that is far more important, expected, and widely
    > used than cryptographic integrity - the assumption uses cryptographic
    > integrity to secure a mandatory authentication mechanism and hence
    > increases the requirement for cryptographic integrity.

    If a receiver does not trust the sender of an FCIP Short Frame, it
    can choose to use IKE and ESP cryptographic integrity. If it believes
    that another IPSec gateway has established secure connections to the
    peer, it processes the FCIP Short Frame, much the same way as any other
    FCIP encapsulated frame.

    > And as things currently stand, the "administrative establishment" of
    > that association will need to be done not only at the sender of the
    > short frame, but also at the recipient.  When IKE is in use, both
    > establishment of the association and the check at the receiver (IKE
    > identity for IPsec SA and WWN in short frame that arrived on that SA
    > are associated) will need to be "MUST"s.

    At the recipient, one could state that a validation of the IKE address
    identifier (the IP address of the source FCIP entity) SHOULD be performed
    against the set of IP addresses that are allowed to send the WWN specified
    in the short frame. If this makes it impractical to use group pre-shared
    keys, that deployment can always use non-group pre-shared keys or use
    public key certs.

    Regards,

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.