    RE:iFCP: iFCP -06 comments

    Hi David:

    Thanks for reviewing the specification.  The following are responses to
    selected comments. We (the co-authors) are in agreement with all others and
    will change the spec accordingly.

    > 9.2.1 - The last paragraph on what to do on loss of
    > synchronization seems
    > inadequate.  It's current state appears to allow stale frame
    > propagation
    > by a compliant implementation.  Was this the intended outcome?

    The issue is what to do if a gateway that was enforcing stale frame
    detection enters the unsynchronized state. The original intent was to make
    the gateway response discretionary.  i.e..  Either continue operation but
    suspend enforcement or terminate operation.

    For consistency, we propose that an implementation enforcing the detection
    of stale frames should always do the latter (terminate operation).
    Otherwise, of course, stale frame detection would not have been enabled to
    begin with.

    > 10.4 b) What happens when the broadcast frame exceeds the MTU
    > size?  This
    > seems to result in a rather unreliable broadcast service, as
    > all of the UDP
    > datagrams could well be dropped, consistently and repeatedly for large
    > enough broadcast frames.

    We will rewrite the section to:

    a) Specify the use of source fragmentation if the datagram exceeds the PMTU.
    b) Require that the receiving broadcast server be capable of accepting the
    maximum FC frame size.

    As a point of information, the expected frame sizes are small. In FC,
    factors limiting broadcast frame size are the fabric and N_PORT MTUs. Fibre
    Channel requires an N_PORT MTU to be at least 256 bytes. Therefore, for a
    broadcast frame to be receivable by all N_PORTs, the frame size should not
    exceed that limit.

    > 7.3.7 - Why is PLOGI in a subsection of 7.3 when it's not augmented?

    iFCP defines an augmented ELS as any ELS requiring gateway intervention,
    whether or not there's supplemental information to be processed.

    > 7.3.8 - Three translation types are shown for the REC
    > Exchange originator.
    > Again, I think this should be type 1.  Variants of this
    > problem are also
    > present in all of 7.3.9 through 7.3.15.

    The issue relates to the manner in which the following ELSs are augmented:

    7.3.10, 7.3.11  -- Read Exchange Status Block (RES) and RES accept
    7.3.12 -- Read Link Error Status (RLS)
    7.3.13 -- Read Sequence Status Block (RSS)
    7.13.14 -- Reinstate Recovery Qualifier (RRQ)
    7.13.15 -- Request Sequence Initiative (RSI)

    (REC has since been deleted from FC-FS and will be removed from the iFCP
    spec.)

    As we interpret FC-FS, RES, RLS, and RSS contain N_PORT identifiers in the
    payload which may not necessarily correspond to those of the frame source or
    destination.  In the case of RES, for example, FC-FS states:

    "The RES ELS Request Sequence requests an N_Port to return the Exchange
    Status Block as defined in 17.8.1 for the RX_ID or OX_ID originated by the
    S_ID specified in the Payload of this Request Sequence..."

    To us, it appears that nothing in the spec requires the S_ID to correspond
    to that of the requesting or responding N_PORTs. We will request
    clarification on this point from T11.

    For RSI (Request Sequence Initiative) and RRQ (Reinstate Recovery
    Qualifier), the parameter in question is the S_ID of the exchange
    originator, which may correspond to either the ELS originator or recipient,
    hence we believe a translation type of 1 (frame originator) or 2 (frame
    recipient) is correct.

    > 12.2 - Please delete d) as MPLS is *NOT* a QoS technology.

    After a discussion of over-provisioning, IntServ and DiffServ, we feel MPLS
    is appropriate since it touches on traffic engineering. For instance, one
    may load a MPLS forwarding equivalence class (FEC) with QoS class
    significance, in addition to other considerations such as protection and
    diversity for the given path. The complementarity and compatibility of MPLS
    with, say, DiffServ is explored in draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-09.txt (wherein
    the PHB bits are copied to the EXP bits of the MPLS shim header).

    > In addition,
    > the entire paragraph after d) appears to have very little content, and
    > I'm not at all sure about the value of discussion SLAs here.

    While we are willing to remove this, we believe there is value in taking the
    reader through a QoS use case for iFCP.

    If possible, we'd like to salvage this material and would appreciate
    suggestions on enhancing or presenting it more appropriately.

    Charles
    Charles Monia
    Senior Technology Consultant
    Nishan Systems