    iSCSI: data and data sequences for Read

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: iSCSI: data and data sequences for Read
    • From: Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>
    • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:22:01 -0500
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but between the -08 spec and the
    archives I'm puzzled about the details around data sequences in the
    case of Read operations.

    As far as I can tell, a read can result in one or more data sequences
    coming back.  These are numbered with DataSN values that  keep going
    up across sequence boundaries.  Each sequence is limited by
    MaxBurstSize, but the total Read size (sum of all the sequences) is
    not bounded other than by SCSI.

    In the Write case, something analogous happens but there there's an
    R2T to control the flow of data sequences.

    As far as I can see, there is nothing analogous in the Read case.  In
    other words, while MaxBurstSize limits the size of a data sequence,
    there is no mechanism limiting the number of bursts, or the rate at
    which you send back DatIn PDUs (other than TCP window control).

    Is that right or did I miss something?  If it's right, what is the
    purpose of having the notion of a Data Sequence for DataIn, and what
    does MaxBurstSize do for you in that case?

    Thanks,
    	paul

Last updated: Thu Nov 15 02:18:05 2001
7820 messages in chronological order