    RE: FC Management MIB - proposed changes

    Ah, now I see the confusion.  The "nameservice" that is
    actually used by a port attached to a Fibre Channel
    fabric in order to locate other ports with which to
    communicate is the Directory Service described in Section
    5 of FC-GS3.  That's the service for which management
    visibility via the MIB is needed.  There's only one instance
    of such a service in a fabric, and the interface from
    a port to that service is the same independent of whether
    zoning is in use.

    Section 6 of FC-GS3 defines the Management Service which
    is an inband Fibre Channel analogue to SNMP and MIBs (it
    is entirely for management).  When the FC management MIB
    is implemented in a fabric switch, I would expect the
    name service objects in it to report information
    equivalent to the Unzoned Name service.  One then
    figures out the behavior of the directory service by
    retrieving this information plus the zone information.
    OTOH, if the MIB is implemented in another device (e.g.,
    FC to SCSI bridge that does not contain an embedded
    FC switch), the MIB may report only the zoned view of
    the directory service that's visible to that device.

Last updated: Tue Nov 13 15:17:39 2001
7787 messages in chronological order