    RE: FCIP: NAPTs Solution Proposal (issue from Irvine, CA Interim meeting)

    Ralph,

    See my response to Bob's mail.  The situation is 1) with a few
    additions - the particular way in which FCIP has designed this
    identity mechanism makes group pre-shared keys a bad idea, and
    saying they SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT be used is part of the solution.

    I would prefer that FCIP use an FC level identifier rather than
    an IP address for identifying FC entities, but in the current
    design, that identifier is being used as an unsecured means of
    authentication, and hence some way of securing that
    authentication needs to be found.  The reply to Bob outlines
    how to go about getting IKE and IPsec to solve this problem; the
    alternative of having FC try to solve this problem doesn't seem
    tractable to me because the problem occurs with the TCP connections
    after the first one, and FC is not going to want to rerun SLAP
    just because a second TCP connection has been set up (and in fact
    may not be able to).

Last updated: Mon Nov 12 21:17:37 2001
7769 messages in chronological order