    RE: FCIP: NAPTs Solution Proposal (issue from Irvine, CA Interim meeting)

    > Those who were at the Irvine Interim meeting will remember that
    > the problem with FCIP and NAPTS is a reliance on IP address in
    > the determination of which incoming TCP connections belong in a
    > given FCIP Link. This proposal solves that problem by requiring
    > that FC Entity World Wide Name be transmitted in the first bytes
    > sent by the FCIP Entity that initiates a TCP Connect request.
    > This allows the FCIP Entity that receives a TCP Connect request
    > to match it with any previously received TCP Connect requests
    > from the same source. Since the transmitted World Wide Name is
    > required to be unique within Fibre Channel, the FCIP Entity
    > that receives this information can correctly assign FCIP Link
    > relationships without relying on IP Addresses.

    From a functional standpoint, this works, but it opens up a security
    issue.  The problem is that on the second TCP connection (and subsequent
    connections) that claim to be from the same FCIP Entity, the WWN that
    is initially sent (and whatever extension is used) is functioning
    as an authentication to allow that connection to join the first
    TCP connection, but that authentication is unsecured -- the sender
    announces the WWN, and the receiver does not (and has no way to)
    check it.

    There's a fairly obvious denial of service attack here involving
    the attacker joining a new connection to an existing one
    and then bit-bucketing all the frames sent over the new connection.

    Limiting FCIP to one TCP connection among any pair of FCIP entity
    identifiers would help, but is not sufficient.  The attack of concern
    in this situation involves the attacker crashing the real entity
    and opening up a connection in its name, thereby locking out the
    real entity when the real entity restarts.

    This may be headed in the direction of needing in-band authentication
    which I know the FCIP community has been doing their best to avoid.

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Fri Nov 09 20:17:38 2001
7719 messages in chronological order