    RE: iSCSI over TLS

    Julian,
      I see what you are saying. I also not just blindly
    opposing IPSec. An optimal security for a protocol can
    best be done at that layer. That would be the most
    optimal solution. Obviously, we do not have an
    security developed inherently for the iSCSI at the
    iSCSI layer. So we are debating whether we should
    transport i.e. TLS or tunnel i.e. IPSec. Given that if
    we go lower in the layer than the protocol itself, the
    knowledge of the portocol does not exist, i.e. at
    IPSec the semantics of iSCSI is not present at all. So
    to some extext integrity is questionable, for lack of
    a better term to explain. At a layer higher than the
    protocol atleast we maintain the semantics of the
    protocol, i.e. a TLS record would have the entire
    iSCSI packet. Thats seems like the best way to
    maintain the integrity of the protocol (Don't chew me
    up on the use of the work integrity as I am just
    trying to explain it in terms of the semantics of the
    iSCSI protocol, so bear with my explaination).
      Defining a standard with dependencies like the one
    we are doing with IPSec involved is not necessarily
    bad, but does spill the working of a protocol to
    multiple layers, just to get it working. This is not a
    very good design (Again, I am just explaining my views
    and not pointing fingers at anybody. If there is some
    short coming that I am stating, then it is me who does
    not yet have a better solution and hence I am the part
    to the problem. I am not trying to sit on the sideline
    and point out issues. This being a public forum and
    people are defining standards that others will be
    using in the future, we have an obligation to think
    through the whole picture throughly. I had a pretty
    nasty response from one of the iSCSI veteran, when I
    was trying to point out some problems with TCP and
    iSCSI and hence I am putting this disclaimer.)

     Hope, my comments are taken constructively :-)

    SG

    === message truncated ===