    RE: iSCSI: Out of order commands

    Excerpt of message (sent 8 November 2001) by Julian Satran:
    > Ron,
    >
    > Targets will most likely advertise a total (command and data) window
    > larger than they can accommodate on any long haul link.  With the current
    > ordering rules nothing bad will happen.

    This is a very bad idea.

    The whole notion of a window is that you advertise what you can
    handle.  You DO NOT, EVER, advertise more than you can handle in the
    hope that you won't be caught.

    Long haul links are no excuse.  The way you deal with those is by
    having more buffer capacity, and issuing window increases early enough
    to keep data flowing.

    In a window flow control scheme, a target that advertises resources it
    does not have is defective.

    This is all VERY old hat.  TCP has understood how to do this for
    ages.  In particular, it has always been well understood that you HAVE
    to have more buffers in order to run at high speed over long delay
    links.

    In essence, what you're saying is that we have an application protocol
    here that is so unusual that it should throw out the lessons of the
    past 40 years, which have taught us how you construct correct
    protocols.  This makes no sense whatsoever to me.

    I think the notion of out of order commands on a single connection is
    somewhat strange, but your reason for opposing it is several order of
    magnitude stranger.

    	   paul

Last updated: Fri Nov 09 03:17:39 2001
7679 messages in chronological order