    RE: FC Management MIB - proposed changes

    Folks,

    For simplicity, I would propose keeping the initial revision focused
    on structural and format changes only - i.e., make no functional
    changes that aren't required to bring the MIB into line with the
    overall architecture of MIBs, use of SMIv2, and the like.  Comments on
    this, keyed to Keith's issue numbers:

    1.  The trap table doesn't match up with RFC 2573 - I presume
    	correcting this is part of the conversion to SMIv2.

    3.  Let's keep the replacement of RFC 2837 as (a) a proposal
    	and (b) Keith's recommendation to the WG as MIB Advisor,
    	but not formally adopt that approach until we have a version
    	of the MIB draft that would replace RFC 2837 available for
    	review by the WG.

    5.  I think there's a misunderstanding here.  There is only one
    	name service in any FC fabric, period.  The term "Simple Name
    	Service" is historical and refers to the current approach
    	to Fibre Channel fabric name service by contrast to the
    	originally-proposed X.500 directory-based approach (see the
    	original FC-GS) - the meaning of "Simple" should now be
    	obvious, as it's by comparison to X.500 ;-).

    	Both the Zoned and Unzoned name services are simple name services.
    	The same objects can be used to represent both, as only one is
    	active at any time, and the communication interfaces/protocols
    	are identical.  Client access to the name service is the same
    	in both cases; zoned vs. unzoned only affects server behavior
    	in terms of what is returned to a query.  In addition the name
    	service objects are described to represent only entities
    	"known to this unit".  So, in a zoned fabric, I would expect
    	the table in a switch to be completely populated, but the table
    	in an HBA to contain only the entries in that HBA's zone
    	because the HBA doesn't "know" about any others.

    	The name server objects need to be retained - these are quite
    	important for fabric management visibility.  Whether the fabric
    	is zoned or not and how the nameserver behaves can be determined
    	from the zone objects (i.e., for a switch, the nameserver objects
    	contain everything and the zone objects have to be consulted to
    	figure out what a query from a particular client to the nameserver
    	will return).

    7.  I would definitely take out Class 1 support, and reference FC-MI
    	(which prohibits Class 1 service) as an authority for doing so.

    8.  For the initial version, I would only carry forward the zone
    	objects existing in the current MIB and not define any new
    	functionality - that can be done in revisions after -00.

    9.  I'd prefer that the -00 version contain no additional functional
    	changes beyond those required to support the necessary
    	structure and format changes.  Once we have that -00 baseline,
    	functional changes can be made from there.

    2, 4, and 6 look fine to me, as does the new draft name.

    Comments?

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Wed Nov 14 09:17:45 2001
7810 messages in chronological order