    Data re-read from Device Server

    Hi,

    Section 8 mentions "It is also assumed that at target, incoming  data (read data)
    MAY be kept for recovery or it can be re-read from a device server."

    Is it assumed here that the data from the device server is idempotent i.e will not
    change when tried to re-read. If that is not the case and we have more than one
    Data In PDU being sent in the response (for one of which a retransmission is
    requested), it will result in in-correct view of the data being given to the initiator.

    As an example, consider that the following response needs to be given

      ------------------
     | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
      -----------------

    which gets transmitted in two Data In PDUs like this

      --------                  ---------
     | 1 | 2 |                |  3 | 4 |
      --------                  ---------

    Now if a re-read generates

      ------------------
     | 1 |  3 | 4 | 5 |
      ------------------

    and retransmission is requested for 2nd PDU. It will get transmitted like

      --------
     | 4 | 5 |
      --------

    which means the initiator neither got 1,2,3,4 nor got 1,3,4,5 (both of which are
    valid snapshots at some point in time), instead it got 1,2,4,5 which never existed
    at the target.

    If we try to re-read only data pertaining to retransmitting PDU, the problem persists.

    Regards,
    Rahul

Last updated: Fri Nov 02 11:17:30 2001
7531 messages in chronological order