    Re: is TargetName always mandatory or not?

    Julian:

    Please see comments below:

    Bob Russell
    InterOperability Lab
    University of New Hampshire
    rdr@iol.unh.edu
    603-862-3774

    > From Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com Wed Oct 31 08:15:10 2001
    > Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:33:50 +0200
    > From: Julian Satran <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>
    > To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject: Re: is TargetName always mandatory or not?
    >
    > It is the leading login:
    >
    > The section 5 paragraph will read:
    >
    > The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading
    > login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. The leading Login
    > request MAY also include the SessionType key=value pair in which case if
    > the SessionType is not "discovery" then the leading Login Request MUST
    > also include the key=value pair TargetName.
    >
    > Julo

    I believe the phrase "in which case" should be taken out, because in the
    case when SessionType key is omited, the default session type is normal
    and the initial Login request MUST include the TargetName key.
    Furthermore, if the session is to be a discovery session, then the
    SessionType=discover pair MUST also be present in the initial login
    request.  The new wording would then be:

      The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading
      login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. If the session
      is to be a discovery session, then the leading Login request MUST also
      include the SessionType=discovery pair.  If the session is to be a
      normal session, then the leading Login request MUST also include the
      key=value pair TargetName.

    I also have some related changes that need to be made in order
    to maintain consistency with the above wording in section 5.

    1. The following sentence must be removed from the end of section 5.1
    (because the LO designation means that the InititatorName, TargetName,
    and SessionType keys cannot be sent at all during the login phase of
    new connections within existing sessions).

      remove
        If sent on new connections within an existing session the iSCSI
        Target Name and the iSCSI Initiator Name MUST be the same as the
        one used for the leading connection.

    2. The wording in Appendix D for the InitiatorName and TargetName
    entries should be changed as follows:

     for InitiatorName:

        change
          "This key MUST be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to
          the remote endpoint before the end of the login phase."
          "This key MUST be provided by the initiator on the initial Login
          request of the first connection of any type of session."

     for TargetName:

        change
          "This key MUST be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to
          the remote endpoint before the end of the login phase."
          "This key MUST be provided by the initiator on the initial Login
          request of the first connection of a normal session."

    3. The following phrase should be added to the wording in Appendix D
    for the SessionType entry:

      "This key can only be used on the initial Login request of the first
      connection of a session."

    4. Finally, the wording in section 2.2.7 should be changed:

      change
        The only exception is if a discovery session (see 2.4) is to be
        established; the iSCSI Initiator Name is still required, but the
        iSCSI Target Name may be ignored.  The key "SessionType=discovery"
        is sent by the initiator at login to indicate a discovery session.
        The only exception is if a discovery session (see 2.4) is to be
        established; the iSCSI Initiator Name is still required, but the
        iSCSI Target Name may be omitted.  The key "SessionType=discovery"
        MUST be sent by the initiator on the initial Login request of the
        first connection to indicate a discovery session.

Last updated: Thu Nov 01 17:17:32 2001
7521 messages in chronological order