    Re: iSCSI: is TargetName always mandatory or not?

    (This is a resend with the proper subject line)

    As I have said before, since authentication may need
    InitiatorName and (if not a discovery session)
    TargetName, both should be present in the first Login
    of every connection.

    Steve Senum

    John Hufferd wrote:

    > Andre,
    > I looked again through the document and No where could I find a statement
    > that you claimed as "a nexus, and therefore an iSCSI session, is uniquely
    > identified by the InitiatorName, ISID, TSID, and portal group tag".  It is
    > the InitiatorName, ISID, TSID, with the TargetName and PortalGroup.
    >
    > Please point out to me in the Spec (8 or above), where  I can find your
    > statement on I_T Nexus.
    >
    > I did find the following (please ignore for this conversation the "i" and
    > 't" stuff):
    >
    > "- Session: The group of TCP connections that link an initiator with a
    > target, form a session (loosely equivalent to a SCSI I-T nexus). TCP
    > connections can be added and removed from a session. Across all connections
    > within a session, an initiator sees one "target image".  "
    >
    > " - I_T nexus: According to [SAM2], the I_T nexus is a relationship between
    > a SCSI Initiator Port and a SCSI Target Port. For iSCSI, this relationship
    > is a session, defined as a relationship between an iSCSI Initiator's end of
    > the session (SCSI Initiator Port) and the iSCSI Target's Portal Group. The
    > I_T nexus can be identified by the conjunction of the SCSI port names; that
    > is, the I_T nexus identifier is the tuple (iSCSI Initiator Name + 'i'+
    > ISID, iSCSI Target Name + 't'+ Portal Group Tag). NOTE: The I_T nexus
    > identifier is not equal to the session identifier (SSID).  "
    >
    > I have not found a place where Session ID is tied to the TSID.
    >
    > Hence my comment that we also need to have the TargetName in the Initial
    > Login on all Connections.
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Home Office (408) 997-6136
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com
    >
    > Andre Asselin/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS@ece.cmu.edu on 10/31/2001 10:40:55 AM
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > cc:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    > Subject:  Re: is TargetName always mandatory or not?
    >
    > John & Julian,
    >      How about this for the section 5 text:
    >
    > The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading
    > login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. The initial login
    > request
    > of the leading Login MAY also include the SessionType key=value pair, in
    > which case if the SessionType is not "discovery", then the initial login
    > request
    > MUST also include the key=value pair TargetName.
    >
    > John,
    >      I disagree with your second statement: I don't see any way you could
    > have 2 different sessions established within the same portal group with the
    > same InitiatorName, ISID, and TSID.  The spec. says that a nexus, and
> [...]

Last updated: Wed Oct 31 18:17:34 2001
7484 messages in chronological order