    Re: iSCSI framing using TCP options

    Ron,

    > iSCSI framing using TCP options was raised and noted in an
    > unofficial document (Jul/5/2000).  Was this issue ever concluded ?
    > If so what is the resolution ?

    The TCP option approach was roundly rejected by the IETF transport
    community.

    The descendent of that effort, which takes the approach of delivering
    framing information in-band (in the TCP stream) is still active.  The
    authors of that draft are actively working on a new version in
    response to many comments on draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ulp-frame-00.txt.

    One likely change in the next revision of the draft (which I'm sure
    will go straight to last call, and win the hearts and minds of all who
    read it :^), is that it will only define what is called PDU alignment
    mode in -00.  The other primary client of TCP framing is RDMA, and
    that community seems to have no interest in marker mode.  Therefore, I
    would propose that iSCSI will continue with its own definition of
    marker mode as it currently does, and additionally call out a
    negotiation for ULP framing for TCP.  However, I don't think any
    specific action is called for until draft-*-01.txt is released in the
    next few weeks.

    Steph

Last updated: Tue Oct 30 13:17:39 2001
7448 messages in chronological order