    iSCSI: Connection establishment criteria

    • To: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: iSCSI: Connection establishment criteria
    • From: "Nandakumar Ramamurthy" <nramamur@npd.hcltech.com>
    • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:42:24 +0530
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Hi All,

    Consider the following :
    An initiator and a target have established a session ( Leading login has
    been successful ).
    Thus, we have one connection between the initiator and target (the leading
    connection).
    Also assume MaxConnections has been agreed upon by both ends as X ( 2 or
    more ).

    My question is :
    What situations/conditions/events make the initiator to establish subsequent
    connections ?

    From my understanding, one definite event is when the leading connection
    goes down,
    thus, making the initiator to establish a new connection (for continuing the
    session ) which
    holds true even if MaxConnections = 1.

    Are the second and later connection(s) attempted immediately after the first
    connection is successful ?

    A seemingly related question on the alias earlier (from the mailing
    archives) suggests that connection
    establishment/selection is done by an iSCSI initiator to improve
    bandwidth/availability.
    Does this mean that "when to spawn consecutive connections" is purely
    implementation dependent ?

    Does any section of the draft clarify my question ?

    Please clarify.

    Thanks,
    Nandakumar.

Last updated: Tue Oct 30 10:17:42 2001