    Re: iSCSI: Login authentication SRP/CHAP

    Bill-

    We have talked about this very subject extensively in other
    face-to-face meetings.  Here's a summary.  Basically, the
    "mandatory to implement" for a secure link (either IPsec or
    SSL) is an IETF requirement, and not necessarily a product
    requirement.  Therefore, we will see three kinds of products:

    1. Products that implement IPsec in hardware.  These will
       provide good performance and security in the same package,
       but will add hardware cost (not list price) at a few
       hundred dollars per port.  This, plus development cost,
       plus the fact that not everyone requires this kind of
       security, will make this cost-prohibitive for many products.

       As IPsec chips are developed, this could be integrated at
       a somewhat lower cost, but again, we're talking a fairly
       long time before these things are realized in products.

    2. Products that implement IPsec in software.  This may be
       acceptable for some initiators that do not require much
       bandwidth, but will almost never be acceptable to meet
       a target's bandwidth requirements.  Some vendors may be
       tempted to put in a "toy implementation" of IPsec in
       software just to claim RFC compliance, but performance
       will be so poor that nobody will actually want to use it.

    3. Products that just leave out IPsec entirely.  This is what
       today's iSCSI products already do, and this is cheaper than
       putting IPsec in hardware, and more honest (at least in
       high bandwidth products) than putting it in software.  The
       marketing guys can deal with the "compliant-except-for-IPsec"
       problem.  After all, very few file server or other data
       storage products support this kind of security; the demand
       for IPsec may be a specialty market, or an optional, added-cost
       item for some products.

    It doesn't matter whether IPsec or SSL is used for the
    secure link; either one requires roughly the same hardware
    cost and/or software performance cost for the above solutions.

    We have to deal with #3.

    --
    Mark

    --