    RE: iSCSI: NIC interoperability

    Hi Folks,

    I would like to question the (C) requirement, in the interest of
    implementation simplicity. I have also seen some previous threads
    on whether to have a host based session manager v/s session handling
    at the offload engine with routing on the host (each NIC, independent
    portal group).

    The value add with session spanning across NIC's namely :
    	- availability at the connection level and
          - ability to scale by bandwidth aggregation,

    could also be reasonably achieved by
          - reestablishing session on the different path ( the time
            taken for failover to different connection v/s establishing
            a new session needs to be characterized, but should not be
            significant if weighed against the simplicity ).
    	- bandwidth aggregation can be achieved by multi-ported,
            multi-engine HBA's and also at a multi-connection level.

    The price to pay for session spanning across NIC's would be of having a
    intelligent session manager on the host managing the per session counters,
    parameters etc. which would result in somewhat performance hit of going
    between on-chip and off-chip and making the interface between the host and
    offload engine, less intelligent.

    Would there be really vendor interest of having added complexity on host
    side for iscsi implementations.

    Any directions/comments appreciated !

    Regards,
    Shailesh.