    Re: iSCSI - negotiating against defaults/renegotiation the same key

    Julian,

    Can you clarify what you mean by "self contained negotiations" ? Further
    comments inline.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Dear colleagues,
    >
    > I think that my previous proposal about negotiating against defaults is
    > flawed.
    > I was based on the simple-minded assumption that after the initiator has
    > said all he had to say (as evidenced by the T=1) the target may assume that
    > the values the target puts forward are against default. I even prepared a
    > text in
    > 5.3 that read:
    >
    >    When the initiator issues a login request with the T bit set to 1 the
    >    target MUST assume that this request includes also an "imaginary
    >    content".  The "imaginary content" consists of key=value pairs including
    >    all the operational keys that have a default value and where not sent
    >    yet by the initiator during the operational parameter negotiation. The
    >    values in the "imaginary content" are the key default values.  This
    >    enables an initiator to avoid sending all the defaults while the target
    >    may negotiate as if they where sent.
    >
    >  But that was wrong. Here is a simple example:
    >
    >  A simple initiator may issue a first login entering the operational
    >  negotiation and having T=1 and nothing beyond the 2 names:
    >
    >  I->T Iname... Tname
    >
    >  This means only that he does not care about things like MaxBurst and is
    >  content with defaults.
    >
    >  The target (in my proposal prompted by Santosh's request) can't do
    >  anything but lower the value while under our simple rule of self contained
    >  negotiations he could ask for a burst increase and the negotiation could
    >  have proceeded.

    If the initiator did'nt have any limitation on FirstBurstSize &
    MaxBurstSize, it should be sending 0 (no limit) and not 64K or 128K.
    Sending a finite value implies the initiator has a specific limit on the
    amount it can handle.

    While on this subject, I suggest that the default value of MaxBurstSize
    be 0, since the initiator does not usually care about or have a limit on
    this field. The field is more a limitation of the target's ability and
    using 0 allows the target to send back the maximum it can support as the
    result of the negotiation.

    --
    Santosh Rao

Last updated: Tue Oct 16 22:17:34 2001