    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Julian Satran
    Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 9:30 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: Addition of CmdSN in Data-out PDU

    Immediate data are not mandatory (even if enabled). Having one or ten
    DMAs
    does not change the fact that they share a TCP "pipe" and a decent
    transmitter will ship the TCP data in order - otherwise it just throws
    his
    problems in the receiver's lap. Our additional requirement on order
    should
    make no difference.  And it would be time to change the name of the
    thread.

    Julo

                        "Rod Harrison"
                        <rod.harrison@wind       To:     John Hufferd/San
    Jose/IBM@IBMUS, "Robert
                        river.com>                Snively"
    <rsnively@Brocade.COM>
                        Sent by:                 cc:
    <somesh_gupta@silverbacksystems.com>,
                        owner-ips@ece.cmu.        "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW
    (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)"
                        edu
    <matthew_burbridge@hp.com>, "'Binford, Charles'"
                                                  <CBinford@pirus.com>,
    <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                                                 Subject:     RE: Addition
    of CmdSN in Data-out PDU
                        13-10-01 13:12
                        Please respond to
                        "Rod Harrison"

               Even more common would be the DMA latency. As an initiator
    would
    send the command PDU as soon as I could if there were no immediate
    data, then queue the DMA for the unsolicited data. Since there could
    be many other DMAs queued ahead of the unsolicited data it is quite
    possible that other commands, both read and write, will be sent before
    the DMA completes.

               You are spot one when you say the delay in obtaining the
    unsolicited
    data may be large and variable. If there are multiple DMA engines it
    does become a challenge for the initiator to ensure the correct
    ordering of the unsolicited data. Note that since there may be
    multiple unsolicited data PDUs in the same burst, and those may be
    filled with separate DMAs the ordering problem propagates down to
    within individual commands.

               I don't believe it is a particularly difficult problem for
    the
    initiator to solve, but I do agree things would be easier for the
    initiator if the ordering requirement were removed. And more so if the
    requirement to send in dataSN order were also removed, but this is
    probably too much pain for the target.

               - Rod